Most energy bars on the market are loaded with preservatives, artificial ingredients, whey and soy protein, both highly acidic foods. Whey is a byproduct of the cheese-making process and has been shown to cause digestion problems. Soy protein isolate has also been shown to adversely affect thyroids, fertility, hormones, and digestion.
And then comes Amrita bars. Launched in 2012, Amrita in sanskrit means means “nectar of the gods.” I was introduced to Amrita at the NYC Vegetarian Food Festival last month, and was excited when they asked me to do a review (and giveaway!) Amrita bars are made from sun-ripened dried fruits, perfectly preserving all their own nectar. Amrita produces protein bars that are raw, organic, non-GMO, and free from the top 8 common allergens (of course gluten free).
Amrita bars are made with raw vegan brown rice protein, which boasts a complete amino acid profile exceptionally high in glutamine, arginine, lysine, leucine, and branched-chain amino acids. Using brown rice protein and dried fruts—such as tropical mangoes, pineapples, and Mejdool dates—together with a rich blend of raw sunflower seeds and sesame seeds would provide essential proteins and fats without the added allergens from nuts, dairy, and soy.
What really separates Amrita from other energy bars on the market, is that each bar is packed full of superfoods, such as chia seeds, maca, or unsweetened coconut, with delicious hints of vanilla and Himalayan Pink salt for taste and flavor balance. All ingredients are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3s, with a good dose of fiber and heaps of easily digestible protein. Every ingredient is Non-GMO and certified Kosher.
Amrita Bars are available in 6 flavors:
1. Apple Cinnamon – Made with big chunks of dried apples, juicy dates and fresh cinnamon, this bar is delicious and crunchy. They are combined with other organic ingredients that help in balancing the tart sweetness of apples & tangy cinnamon. Loaded with phyto-nutrients and anti-oxidants, apples are continuously being praised as a “miracle food”. They are flexible and make a perfect partner for anything–even with cinnamon! With cinnamon’s warm and sweet flavor, the two make perfect sense to combine with. These two are known for their anti-oxidant properties that help the body protect from deleterious effects of free radicals. Both apple and cinnamon also help in inhibiting the oxidation of LDL or “bad” cholesterol which can help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Apricot Strawberry – If you’re a fan of Apricot and Strawberry’s sweetness, crunchiness and softness, then these energy bars are all you need! Aside from the big chunks of strawberries and apricots, they are also packed with other organic ingredients making them perfect for your plant-based diet.This delicious blend of summer fruits is loaded with antioxidants, color, and flavor.
Strawberries and apricots are perfect as a pair as they both have a light summer flavor which is refreshing and addicting. I love the sweet taste and juiciness of this flavor. Not only they are delicious, but strawberries and apricots are full of antioxidants, low in fat and rich in fiber. Both are also packed with ample amounts of vitamins and Phyto-nutrients, and are great sources of soluble and insoluble fibers which promote and help in maintaining healthy blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
3. Chocolate Maca – Give in to your chocolate craving and feel no guilt with Amrita’s Chocolate Maca Energy Bar. What’s good about this energy bar is it contains maca and cacao – both well-known superfoods, packed with exceptional amounts of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and other health-boosting properties. This bar contains 15 grams of easily digestible vegan protein, so not only does it satisfy my sweet tooth, it also provides lots of energy.
Maca is a relative to radish family which has an odor similar to butterscotch. This root is a good source of B-vitamins and a vegetarian-source of B12. It is also rich in bioavailable calcium that is good for remineralization or restoration of minerals in the body. Incan warriors were said to be consuming Maca before battles to boost endurance and stamina. Just like Maca root, Cacao is also a good source for energy. It is considered as one of nature’s miracle, packed with vitamins and anti-oxidants that you can turn into your natural Multi-vitamin. Both Maca and Cacao are good for your heart and can neutralize free radicals in your body. Besides from being good for one’s physical well-being, it is also good for your mental health as both of them are good to balance your mood. They could also alleviate anxiety, stress, depression or mood swings.
4. Cranberry Raisin – Growing up in Massachusetts, we loved eating local cranberries during the fall and holiday months. Now I can enjoy cranberries anytime and anywhere, and all year long, with these Cranberry Raisin bars! Not only are they loaded with cranberries, but it is also mixed with raisin’s candy-liked sweetness, balancing out the tartness of the cranberries. With cranberries acidic taste balanced by raisin’s sweetness, this bar is a match made from heaven.
Cranberries are not only good for the heart but also for the skin and fight against cancer and bacterial infections. A natural brain booster, the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds of these berries protect brain from age-related memory loss. These berries also prevent formation of plaque to the tooth’s enamel. Raisins (dried grapes) like cranberries are also good source of energy. They don’t only reduce constipation, but also few plant-based products rich in iron, a mineral responsible for the transport of oxygen to the body’s cells.
5. Mango Coconut – The tropical juicy flavor of mango is combined with coconut’s sweetness. These bars will give you a very refreshing and tropical experience packed with other organic ingredients, making them perfect for a plant-based diet.
The king of fruits” as it is called; Mango is so delicious that others forget how healthy they are. Mango is an ancient fruit that turns into yellow-golden in tone when ripe. Eating mango is one of the healthiest decisions you can do for your body as it is packed with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. It is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Selenium, which prevent heart disease and other illnesses like cancer. The fruit has a unique flavour of sweetness mixed with a right touch of tartness perfect for anything even with the coconut’s subtle taste. Coconut is also known its anti-cancer properties just like in mangoes. It is believed to cure any illnesses as it is excellent for one’s immunity. When consume in any various forms, it can still be used as antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and even anti-parasitic. This fruit is also known for its wonder for treating mankind’s worst and most resilient of illnesses. Coconuts are not only delicious, but also a good source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Both mango and coconut have antioxidant property that helps in protecting the body from harmful free radicals. This was my least favorite bar, as it left a funny aftertaste in my mouth.
6. Pineapple Chia – This Pineapple Chia bar is a natural energy-fuelling for your body, perfect in any time of the day that will also remind you the tropical beach. If you can’t get enough of pineapples’ sweet and tart taste then this Pineapple Chia bar is your treat. This bar will not only give you the perfect summer feel, it is also packed with chia seeds, making the whole thing perfect and satisfying.
Pineapples have very sweet and rich flavor in the inside which is loaded with vitamin A and C, fiber, potassium, phosphorous and calcium. They are also low in calories and contain Bromelain, an enzyme that helps in the breakdown of protein in the digestive system. Bromelain has also anti-inflammatory, anti-clotting and anti-cancer properties. Pineapples are known as an excellent source of Vitamin C which is a well-known anti-oxidant. Just like pineapples, chia seed also contains a massive amount of nutrient with very few calories. These tiny super food seeds are packed with protein and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids essential to combat diabetes and also prevent heart disease. Chia seeds are also good for athletes helping them in absorbing water in their body.
You can find Amrita Energy Bars in Whole Foods and natural food stores nation wide. You can also purchase Amrita bars on their website, or on Amazon, for just a little more than $2 per bar. This month Amrita is having a special “Try 2 bars for $3 Free Shipping” It’s a great way to try a few flavors before purchasing an entire box!
Now for the giveaway! The super nice folks over at Amrita have offered to give one lucky reader the chance to win all 6 of their bars! To enter, simply click on the rafflecopter below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway will end on April 15, 2015 at 11:59pm.
Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I was not paid to write this review.