Gluten-free diets are growing in popularity, partially thanks to celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, who insist on a gluten-free diet. Even food companies have jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon, which is great for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. However, the reason food companies have made this switch is to appeal to people with a gluten allergy or intolerance. Rice Krispies are typically made from the rice syrup, so they rarely have any trace of gluten in them in a good quantity.
Are rice krispies gluten free? No, Rice Krispies are not completely gluten free. Many Rice Krispies Brands Use Malt Syrup, which contains gluten. So It’s not safe to say Ric Krispies are gluren free. But some brands are gluten free.
Rice Krispies are a brand name for a breakfast cereal made by Kellogg’s. They are made from rice, sugar, and salt and have a sweet taste with a crispy texture. The cereal is usually eaten with the milk or other liquids to soften the crunchiness of the cereal.
This product is made in the United States with no gluten-containing ingredients added during manufacturing. However, it should be noted that some products may contain trace amounts of gluten due to cross-contamination during manufacturing processes.
The ingredients for Rice Krispies cereal
- Rice Flour
- Corn Starch (in the marshmallows)
- Triglycerides (emulsifier)
- Vegetable Oil Shortening (in the marshmallows)
- Citric Acid (preservative)
Is there a gluten free version of Rice Krispies?
Yes, Rice Krispies are gluten free. This is true for both the regular and chocolate varieties of Rice Krispies.
Rice Krispies are made from rice, sugar, salt and oil. The first three ingredients contain no gluten, which means the cereal is safe for people with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance to eat.
The only ingredient that may pose a problem is the oil used to make Rice Krispies. If the oil was derived from wheat or barley, then it would contain gluten and make the cereal unsafe to eat. However, there are many types of oils that do not contain any gluten-containing grains as part of their ingredient list.
The most common type of oil used in food manufacturing is vegetable or vegetable blend oil . This type of oil typically contains corn or soybean oils as its base ingredients, which makes it safe for people with celiac disease and other types of allergies.
Benefits of a Low Gluten Diet
If you’re trying to cut gluten from your diet, here are some of the benefits you might notice:
- Weight loss
A low-gluten diet can help some people lose weight. It may be because gluten causes inflammation in the gut and prevents proper digestion of food, according to a 2017 study published in the journal Nutrients.
- Reduced symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
IBS is a disorder that causes abdominal cramps, bloating, gas and diarrhea or constipation. People with celiac disease often experience similar symptoms because they have an autoimmune response to gluten that also affects their small intestine, explains Dr. Marios Hadjivassiliou, professor of neurology at the University of Sheffield in England and a leading expert on gluten sensitivity.
Risks of a No Gluten Diet
- Going gluten free is not without risks, especially if you don’t do it under the guidance of a doctor or nutritionist. Here are some of the potential problems:
- You could be missing out on important nutrients associated with whole grains, such as fiber, B vitamins and magnesium.
- Your body may not get enough protein from meat, poultry and fish — foods that are often used in place of breads and pastas made with wheat flour.
- You may find yourself eating more saturated fat than necessary because many gluten-free products are higher in fat than their wheat counterparts (although this isn’t always true).
- A no-gluten diet should not be followed without medical supervision because it can lead to nutritional deficiencies over time if you don’t eat enough variety in your meals
Rice Krispies can Be used in Gluten Free Diet
Rice krispies are made from a combination of rice flour, sugar and salt. They are commonly used in breakfast cereal as a crunchy topping.
Rice is naturally gluten-free, so you don’t need to worry about cross-contamination if you’re having breakfast cereal.
Check the ingredients on the box or a bag to make sure there are no added ingredients that contain gluten such as wheat flour or barley malt syrup.
In the end, Rice Krispies aren’t a naturally gluten free food option (unless you can find a certified gluten free brand), but you can use certified gluten free Rice Krispies as well as a lot of other gluten free cereal brands. And while they’re not going to be exactly the same, they’re probably close enough that your taste buds won’t notice.