Gluten is the main protein found in many grains such as wheat, rye, and barley. Many people are unable to digest these proteins, leading to a range of gastrointestinal symptoms. Boiled down, gluten is nothing more than protein found in wheat. A by-product of gluten is what causes many common food allergies and the one that’s most well-known -celiac disease. Gluten has been getting a lot of press in recent years, so much so that it has become trendy; fashionable even.
Bacon contains no gluten in it. It is gluten free.
The main ingredient in bacon is pork
Bacon is a type of salt-cured pork. It is prepared from several different cuts of meat, typically from the pork belly or from back cuts, which have less fat than the belly. Bacon is cured and smoked over wood chips, becoming sweet and crisp. It is eaten on its own, as a side dish or used as a minor ingredient in other dishes.
Bacon features in many cuisines worldwide, with considerable variation across different countries. In England and Ireland it is often served with fried bread known as ‘fry-up’ in Northern Ireland and ‘full English breakfast’ elsewhere in the UK; it may be eaten at any time of day. In Australia it is usually served with fried egg and tomato.
What is a gluten-free diet
The gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes foods containing gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and mixes of these grains. Gluten is the main protein that gives structure to baked goods such as breads, cakes, cookies and pasta.
Some people cannot digest gluten because they have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The symptoms of celiac disease include diarrhea and abdominal pain.
An estimated 1% of people in the United States have celiac disease. Symptoms of non-celiac gluten sensitivity include bloating, nausea and headache. People who have been diagnosed with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity should avoid foods containing wheat, rye or barley including pasta, breads and cereals.
Because they contain a type of protein called gluten that could cause intestinal damage if eaten by someone with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. A person who cannot tolerate even small amounts of gluten may be able to consume foods made from oats as long as they are certified as pure oat products with no contamination from other grains such as wheat or barley.
Types of Bacon
Bacon comes from the belly of the pig and is cured, smoked and dried to preserve it. Bacon can be made from either pork loin or pork belly. Pork loin is leaner and more tender than pork belly, which has more fat in it.
Bacon comes in two types: smoked and unsmoked.
- Unsmoked bacon is called Canadian bacon. It has the same amount of fat as regular bacon but no smoke flavor or smell.
- Smoked bacon has been cured with nitrates, which give it its characteristic color and smoky flavor. Nitrates are also used to cure ham, hot dogs, corned beef and other processed meats that contain a lot of nitrites (a type of salt). Bacon can be cooked by frying it over medium heat until crispy or broiling it in the oven at 450 degrees F until browned on both sides.
Processed bacon is cured with gluten
That’s what gives it that distinct flavor. There’s no reason to avoid bacon in its natural form, though. Raw bacon is made from the belly of a pig and has no added ingredients. It’s cured with salt and nitrates, so it doesn’t contain any gluten.
However, if you’re worried about cross-contamination, you should avoid processed bacon or anything else that may have been made on shared equipment with other products containing gluten.
There are many other foods that can be prepared with bacon
If you are wondering about whether or not bacon is gluten free then you should know that it is not necessary for all products to be labeled as being gluten-free because they do not contain wheat, barley or rye. The following are some examples of how bacon is commonly used:
- Bacon is often added to sandwiches, such as BLTs or club sandwiches. It can also be used to make egg sandwiches or breakfast burritos.
- Bacon makes a great topping for salad because it adds a salty flavor to the greens without making them soggy like croutons would do. Bacon bits are also popular on salads because they are easy to sprinkle over your bowl before eating it.
- Adding bacon bits to soup makes it heartier and gives it more flavor than just plain broth would have provided alone. This works well if you’re making vegetable soup or any other kind that doesn’t already have meat included in its ingredients list.
If you’re a person with Celiac disease (gluten intolerance), then this probably isn’t the best news. Bacon is often packed with wheat flour and other gluten-containing ingredients. A bacon and avocado sandwich might be great, but if you have Celiac disease, you’ll want to avoid bacon.