It’s no secret that taco bell is one of the gluten filled foods out there. I knew there was a risk when I ordered some, but me being the hungry individual that I am, just thought “why not?”. Let’s start with the meat and beans. The burrito supreme with no beans in San Antonio Texas uses beef as the main source of protein when it really shouldn’t.
What is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye). It’s what gives bread its chewy texture.
If you have celiac disease, gluten damages your small intestine and prevents it from absorbing nutrients from food. That can lead to weight loss, diarrhea and other serious problems. People who have non-celiac gluten sensitivity may not have the same symptoms as people with celiac disease, but they can still feel better when they stop eating gluten.
Gluten-free foods don’t contain any wheat, barley or rye. The only ingredients that could contain gluten are spices or flavorings added after production of the food item has begun.
Which Taco Bell menu items are gluten free?
Taco Bell is a fast food restaurant chain that offers Mexican-inspired foods. The company was founded in 1962 in California by Glen Bell and since then has expanded to more than 6,000 locations worldwide.
Some Taco Bell menu items are gluten-free, but some contain wheat or soy sauce. You can check the Taco Bell nutrition guide online for specific information on each item.
These are the gluten-free options on the Taco Bell menu:
- Bean Burrito (with no beans)
- Crunchy Taco Supreme (without lettuce)
- Grilled Steak Soft Taco (without cheese)
- Meximelt Burrito (without sour cream)
- Naked Chicken Chalupa (without beans or cheese)
- Pintos N Cheese Burrito (without rice or chips)
- Power Menu Bowl – Steak & Potato (without rice)
Taco Bell Menu Items that contain Gluten
Taco Bell has been acknowledged by the Celiac Disease Foundation as one of the most reliable fast food restaurants for gluten-free options. However, their menu does contain some items that contain gluten.
Here’s a list of Taco Bell menu items that contain gluten:
- Beef and bean burrito
- Beefy 5-layer burrito
- Beefy crunch burrito
- Cheesy fiesta potatoes
- Chips and guacamole dip
- Mexican rice (seasoned)
- Nachos grandes with beef
Is Taco Bell’s beef gluten free?
Taco Bell’s beef is not gluten-free. Taco Bell has a separate menu for people with food allergies, but it does not include anything that is gluten-free.
Taco Bell does not serve any gluten-free items in its restaurants. The company does not have any information about whether or not any of its ingredients are made from wheat, rye or barley.
If you want to eat at Taco Bell, it’s best to do so when you’re feeling well and have no symptoms of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. If you do have symptoms when you eat at Taco Bell, consider asking them to prepare your food on a different surface than the one they use for other customers’ orders.
The Most Popular Gluten-Free Options at Taco Bell
Taco Bell is one of the most popular fast food restaurants in the country. Taco Bell has a dedicated gluten-free menu that includes 21 different items. Here are the top six items you’ll want to try:
- Bean Burritos: Bean burritos are made with beans and rice instead of tortillas. You can also order them without cheese or sour cream if you wish.
- Beefy Fritos Burrito: This burrito features ground beef, cheese sauce and Fritos corn chips on top of a bed of rice and beans.
- Soft Taco Supreme: This taco features seasoned beef, lettuce, tomatoes and shredded cheese on soft corn tortillas. You can also order them without cheese if you wish.
- Cheesy Potato Flatbread: This flatbread features seasoned potato bites covered in melted cheddar cheese sauce with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream drizzled on top. There are no gluten ingredients in this item but it may contain traces of wheat due to cross-contamination during manufacturing processes that may not be visible from reading labels
Gluten free options at fast food restaurants
Taco Bell is not a gluten-free restaurant, but many of its menu items are naturally gluten-free. Taco Bell’s menu has a wide variety of foods that can be ordered without gluten. Some of these include:
- Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos Supreme (with rice)
- Bean burrito (no sour cream or cheese)
- Bean burrito supreme (no sour cream or cheese)
- Fresco Crunchy taco (with corn tortilla)
Yes, you can eat at Taco Bell and keep your gluten-free diet
Taco Bell is one of the best fast food restaurants for gluten-free eaters. While many chains offer a few options for those who are gluten-free, Taco Bell has a wealth of options for you to choose from.
If you’re looking for something specific, here is a list of all the items on their menu that are gluten-free:
- Bean Burrito with no cheese or sauce
- Beefy 5 Layer Burrito without beans or rice
- Black Bean Burrito without beans or rice
- Deluxe Grilled Chicken Loaded Griller without sauce and add corn tortilla chips
- 7 Layer Burrito without beans or rice
Taco Bell does offer a few gluten-free options on their menu. They include a variety of tacos, tostados, soft burritos and gorditas, as well as their 7-Layer Burrito. All of this is great news for anyone with celiac disease or another gluten intolerance.